Police Shoot Suspect For Allegedly Stabbing Four Victims

A man, who authorities said stabbed four people in a thrift store in Maryland, is dead after police shot him four times. 

According to the Montgomery County Department of Police, officers received reports of a stabbing incident at the Unique thrift store on Veirs Mill Road in Silver Spring at about 10:36 a.m. on Saturday. Upon arrival, responding officers found a woman suffering from multiple stab wounds. 

Police received another call just one minute after the first call stating that two other women had been stabbed near Colie Drive. Responding officers found the two women at the scene along with another man who police say had minor injuries. 

Authorities said the women were taken to a nearby hospital, where one of them remains in critical condition. The man was treated at the scene and needed no urgent medical care.

When police arrived at the scene, the suspect ran into a wooded area. Police found the suspect near the area at about 10:45 a.m. on Saturday. The suspect was allegedly holding a large  12-inch butcher knife and did not comply with commands when officers told him to drop the knife.

One officer shot the suspect after he lunged at him with the knife. The suspect, whose identity has not been made public,  was pronounced dead at the scene.

Montgomery County Police Assistant Chief Darren Francke told reporters that investigators believe the stabbing was random and that the suspect did not know any of his victims.

“We have witnesses. We are continuing our interviews, but at this point it was an unprovoked attack,” Francke said.

Francke added that the officer fired multiple shots at the suspect to prevent him from attacking more people. Francke, however, added that incidents such as the stabbing are rare in the otherwise quiet suburban area.

“Montgomery County is a very safe community,” he said. “On a Saturday afternoon where folks are having a yard sale and just shopping at a very popular thrift store, we don’t expect this. We certainly don’t accept it.”

The Maryland Attorney General’s Office is investigating the police shooting as Maryland’s standard procedure dictates. Body camera footage of the shooting will be released in the coming weeks.